Saturday 19 September 2009

Broken Hearted

I realise that over the last few weeks my blog has been something of a bore, but my thoughts have been elsewhere.

Basically, they’ve been focused on Kevin and I, and what the future holds for us.

On the back of a horrible year of health worries and recuperation, we’d started planning how we were going to move on. We’d bought a little book each to write down all the things we were going to do in the next few years; the places we wanted to visit; the cars we wanted to drive; the careers we wanted to aim for; the indulgent but needless little treats we wanted to save for.

And then the rug got pulled from under our feet...

After several weeks of appointments with doctors and consultants, my incredibly fit and apparently healthy partner was told on Monday that his heart valve is failing, causing his heart to enlarge, and that surgery is his only option. We sat stunned as the surgeon reeled off the statistics, desperately hoping to hear some good news or to wake up from the nightmare we were having, but neither of those things happened.

We’re still stunned. Our little books containing all of our hopes and dreams have been put aside, as have my promises of restriction.

There are many things that are more important than money - living and loving and having fun - and while we have no intention of going completely crazy on our credit cards, we also have no intention of denying ourselves.

It could be weeks or months before Kevin joins me in the scary scar brigade, but until that time, we’ll be making the most of every single minute.

4 comments:

  1. I stumbled on your blog completely by accident...and I'm glad I did. Hang in there, sweetie. You can get through this, and so can your partner. I read a lot of love in your post, and that will help both of you. I'll be thinking of you guys and hoping for health and well-being coming your way very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely post above from Anonymous and I'm sure it echoes how all your blog readers are feeling about you two (three including Hobbs!) right now. All my love. S xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alexis
    Very moved by your latest blog.
    I know that this must just seem completely overwhelming at the moment! One day at a time...get the best surgeon and you will be amazed at how much better Kevin will be after the surgery (nurse in former life!)Tell him his bike riding will improve dramtically!
    Keeping you all in my thoughts....and keep that wonderful sense of humour!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for these lovely messages - things are so much easier to get through when you have support like this (and it's second time round for Susie!!).

    ReplyDelete