Friday 15 May 2009

Once Upon A Time...

Once upon a time there was a rather greedy girl who thought that all the joy in life came from shopping. Try as she might, she just couldn’t go a whole day without buying something shiny and new; it didn’t even matter what it was or if she even needed it. If she had to have it then she would simply flash her pretty, plastic cards, bag it and go. But when she got home from the shops, realised that she had added to the scary debt on her pretty, plastic cards and would have to hide her shiny, new purchase to avoid seeing that disappointed look on her partner’s face, all the joy of buying it would disappear and the guilt would creep in. So, to cheer herself up again she would go shopping!

Many wardrobes and many years were filled in this way until the rather greedy (and let’s face it, rather stupid girl) eventually added up all the debt from her shiny plastic cards and saw to her horror that it amounted to a brand new BMW Z4 Coupe - that’s nearly £32,000 to you and me.

It seems she must have passed out and suffered a bump to the head, because when she came round and hauled herself back up onto her teetering Gina heels, she promised herself that she would never behave so greedily or stupidly again. With her hand on her Jaeger clad heart she swore that for one whole year, she would buy nothing but the bare essentials! And so ‘In The Red - The Diary of a Recovering Shopaholic’ was born.

That rather greedy girl was me - Alexis - and to mark the anniversary of the day when I decided to change my life, I’m starting this blog and hoping you’ll join me on the next phase of my ‘recovery’.

7 comments:

  1. I love it! I know that for a year you didn't buy anything more important than a Meal Deal in Boots, or a Chanel cleanser...
    Great to see your blog and good luck with it.
    Oh, and I did see the fruits of your last visit to Jaeger and covet with my greedy, grasping heart the perfection that it is. BUT what I REALLY want is the black jacket with the keyhole neckline - but it looks so much better on you. Enjoy wearing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you are welcome to borrow anytime!

    I feel I should point out that said jacket was purchased in the sale and funded by Mum (who recognised I needed a serious pick-me-up after a particularly rotten week).

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like the slippery slope to me! Jaeger! never actually got to see what was in that black bag. Have you considered good old Marks and Spencers. Apparently on Wednesday they are having some kind of super sale with many items £1. If you want, I will take you by the hand and lead you into said shop..........you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No slippery slope - I promise. It was just a very thoughtful gift from Mum.

    Much as I love M & S, you're not supposed to be encouraging me to shop - even if it is just a pound! I might come along to hold your jacket while you fight your way through the scrum though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eh it's not £1 at M&S - it's a penny bazaar! Yes everything is 1p (including the all important knickers and socks) - though before you take a whole £1 and go giddy with excitement you are limited to just 5 items!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alexis and welcome to blogging.

    I'm not sure what car my £45k would of bought, but I could have bought 2 apartments in Bulgaria!

    Laura :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. I'm now reading your blog and am in awe of the amount of debt you have cleared!

    It's scary to equate all that debt to specific objects, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete