Sunday 6 June 2010

Tomato Temptress

People always seem to think that making food from scratch, as opposed to buying in pre-prepared meals, will save you money.

This is a lie. Don’t listen to them.

Having heard this little pearl of wisdom more times than I care to mention - and clearly having delusions of actually being able to make something edible - I bought two Nigel Slater cook books.

I realised as I was putting them in the book shelf (having glanced at them once and doubting I will ever glance at them again) that we have a whole shelf of cook books!

How weird is that for a couple who can burn a boiled egg? We even have one tome signed by Nick Nairn. Although I have to admit Kevin has used that one. He made a prawn cocktail from it. Once.

Anyway, having witnessed the Delicious Miss Dahl turning out the perfect tomato soup with nothing more than a roasting tin, a hand blender and a cleavage revealing cardigan, I decided that I should have a go.

The resulting four bowls - delicious as they were - cost just over £12 for all the ingredients, took over an hour to make and splattered so much when I waded in with the hand blender that the kitchen looked like a scene from a horror film.

A tin of Heinz is less than a pound. It requires no greater skills than the ability to operate a can opener.

I rest my case...

6 comments:

  1. Hee hee - but bet you looked just as good as Miss Dahl. Any anyway, I hear she's not being commissioned anymore. You can rest your case. And actually, you've just put me in the mood for a tin of Heinz tomato soup (of which I have five in the cupboard - Lidl were doing a deal!)

    Milt x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't stain your whiskers Milt xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heinz would be my kind of preferred tomato soup LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heinz tomato soup is the food of my childhood and I get almost emotional just thinking about it, nothing can replace it. So glad Ms D is not being commissioned, the trailer was dire couldn't face watching a whole episode. Nothing but nothing can surpass home cooked food, the secret is to build up your cupboard, then it just gets cheaper and cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Alexis! It's only taken me just over a year to find your blog - I was wondering if I'd ever get to hear more tales of you, Kevin and Hobbs (what a year you've been through, hope things are getting better now x)! Your book was a godsend to me, have read it over and over in the past year or so. I even started a blog to chart my own progress, bit sketchy at the moment though - both the blog and the money saving, ahem! Know what you mean about the home cooking thing, I made Miss Dahl's peanut butter fudge and the ingredients cost me around £10! OK, it was yummy, but then so's Waitrose own! Love to the House of Hall xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so pleased you found the blog and even happier that you enjoyed the book.

    I just wish you hadn't mentioned that Waitrose do yummy peanut butter fudge - can't stop thinking about it now! xx

    ReplyDelete