Sunday 8 August 2010

Jenni, Gill & Me

I've always thought the programmers at BBC Radio 4 had incredibly good taste - which was why I was rather surprised to receive a call from them, asking me to take part in Woman's Hour on Friday.

The subject was women facing bankruptcy and I was on with Gill Hankie MBE (Director of the Bankruptcy Advisory Service) to discuss the implications of insolvency and how it's sometimes being portrayed as a 'Get Out Of Jail Free' card by certain publications.

A very serious subject, but I had a super time and feel more than a little honoured to have shared the airwaves with Jenni Murray and Gill.

My only horror moment was on arrival at the studio; realising that I really was the only one there and had to operate the whole set up myself. Having worked in radio, it wasn't too daunting a prospect, until I read the instruction sheet I'd been left.

Number one instruction was: Switch on the 'cooker switch' before entering the studio.

We all know how I am with cooking! I crossed my fingers, flicked the switch, went into the studio and waited for the inevitable smell of burning - which usually accompanies that action - to start...

** You can hear the podcast by clicking the BBC Radio 4 link in the first paragraph

2 comments:

  1. Hi there Alexis, the world is certainly a small place. I walked into my local library the other day and picked up your book, not too strange you might think except that I,m a Glasgow girl living in Australia. When I came home and blogged about reading your book one of my blogging friends put me onto your blog. So here I am and I,ll stay with you throughout your journey.

    By the way I,m loving the book and I,ve just listened to you coming clean on the podcast. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maureen - welcome on board xx

    ReplyDelete