Sunday 9 August 2009

Life's Little Luxuries


I am desperate to go and see the new Chanel film, but so far, work hours have delayed my date with Gabrielle and her Gallic garb.

Chanel is one of my great loves, but as saving money clearly hasn’t been, I’ve never been able to afford anything more than their make-up, perfume and skin care.

A stroll round their shop in Rome a few years back sent my heartbeat soaring, not just at the glory of the goods but also at the complete lack of labels that might have given a hint at the price.

And we all know the saying that if you have to ask the price, you can’t afford it! So, I have to satisfy myself with my little bottles and jars, topped with their signature black lid and interlocking Cs.

During our recent holiday, my skincare routine consisted of wet wipes and sunscreen - although why I felt the need to slather on so quite much when it rained constantly, I don’t know. Perhaps I thought I was waterproofing myself...

On the night we got back I locked myself in the loo with all of my lotions and potions and spent a blissful half hour cleansing, toning and moisturizing courtesy of Coco. I swear my skin was positively purring by the time I’d finished and that little but of luxury really lifted me.

Call me shallow and tell me that it’s the same ingredients that go into making Hobbs’ dinner if you wish, but there are some little pleasures in life that you should be allowed to indulge in and this one is mine.

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the time Paula and I were in Paris, recreating Carrie going into Dior (but not falling over obviously). We were wandering about in awe trying not to get into trouble when the lovely man behind the counter came up to us and said "ladeez would you allow me to present you with our latest brochure?". It was this amzing concoction of velvet ribbons and glossy cardboard and we were swooning over how nice it was if him to do that as he knew we weren't serious shoppers, plus the fact we got to leave the Dior shop with something tied up in Dior ribbons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were trying to behave ourselves (ie. not rumaging for price tags and pawing all the garments a la Topshop), it was all so austere!! I do love a bit of gorgeous packaging though. I am the marketing team dream - I fall for all those luxurious looking labels. You are so right Alexis, people can tell me again and again that Nivea is all my skin needs but it simply doesn't give me that little bit of joy my lovely Lancome does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just reading through both of your comments and laughing. You and Susie trying to 'behave' - as if!

    As most of us work in media / marketing / PR, you'd think that we might - even just occassionally - realise when we're being suckered in...

    ReplyDelete