Saturday 15 January 2011

Flushed with success!

Day 11 on my latest quest to curb consumerism and - without sounding too smug - I'm pretty pleased with how it's going.

Nothing other than food and travel costs have dared to cross my payment path and, on Wednesday, I even had a little article on debt and stopping shopping in the Daily Record. So, if I feel like forking out for something un-necessary, I can dig out the article and remind myself that the advice I'm so good at passing on to other people, applies to me too.

Even Kevin seems to be embracing the 'make do and mend' mentality I'd mentioned in the article.

A couple of days ago, the part he had ordered for the fridge arrived and after a slight struggle, quite a lot of swearing and a few stray screws, he emerged triumphant, shouting "Done!", like a DIY Gordon Ramsay.

This success has triggered a trip to his wee shed to drag out the tool box and as I type, he's in the loo tinkering with our temperamental flush. I daren't pop my head round the door but from behind it, I can hear him making confident, little whistling noises and so far, there hasn't been much swearing...

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you have created a monster there.
    Good on you for sticking with the anti consumerism policy. And as for The Daily Record article congrats, now to apply it too yourself, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maureen - I was really chuffed with the piece but sadly can't put a link to it, as it didn't go into the online edition.

    I'm delighted to report that our failing flush is now fully functioning!

    A
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to stick to my one-year ban, too, but I can't seem to last more than a day! I always find something to spend my money on. How do you stop yourself from buying little unnecessary things when, for example, you're out to lunch during work week? I tried $5 a day, but for some reason it doesn't work for me. Maybe I need to try harder...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give up Anna - eventually that one day will turn to two, then three...

    What are the things that are tempting you so much? Perhaps you could try writing down all the things you buy in a day, then at the end of the week / month see what it is that you're spending on that can be cut back.

    If you really can't behave around the shops at lunchtime, then I'm afraid we'll have to enforce a ban, madam!

    Try the diary and keep me posted - we'll see if we can get this year through together.

    A
    xx

    ReplyDelete